Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Damn the weather! Time to ride!

Got out three of the last five days, and it would have been four but I was feeling kind of crappy on Sunday, so I took the day off and spent five hours cleaning my road bike and singlespeed -- gave them a total detail. It was ... therapeutic! I love the look of a sparkling clean bike -- even if I'm going to completely filthy it up next time I ride.

Here's the pics (the drivetrains alone took about an hour each because of all the gunk on them):








Anyway, on Friday, I took half a day off and got out for just about 50 miles on the road. Friday was really nice and warm, but the roads were very messy. But that really didn't matter. I felt okay -- not great, but not bad. Definitely a great day out!



Then, on Saturday, I took the Singlespeed down to Wissahickon and did a very, very muddy 12 miles. It was the first time I'd been on the trail in a long while, and it felt like it. I would have liked to do more miles, but it was really slow going in some sections because the mud was about six inches deep. I had a limited amount of time, so I had to cut it off at about 12. Still, it was awesome to be out on the trail again.



And finally, tonight I got out for a hybrid trail/bike path ride on my OCLV. I started on the trail, but it was really snowy and very slow -- I got just a bit more than 4 miles of trail in an hour. It was challenging, but from a fitness standpoint, it was too slow-going to really push my HR up. So when I hit Lincoln Drive, I decided to ride out around the art museum on Kelly Drive and push the pace up. It was pretty cold, but I averaged about 17 1/2 mph on the way out and about 16 -17 on the way back (along MLK Blvd on the other side of the Schuylkill.) All in all, lemons into lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment