Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Inching back to life ...

Got out Sunday for a very rough singlespeed ride. Rough because I was just over (or so I thought) a really bad chest cold. Turns out, it might be more than a cold. There's an upper respiratory bug/sinus infection thing going around and I'm pretty sure that's what I had -- or maybe have -- because I'm not really over it. I feel a lot better, but I still have congestion and whenever I blow my nose it's pretty much a crap shoot as to what color is going to come out. On Sunday's ride, I stopped at one point and started coughing so bad I was gagging. Not a good time. On the upside, though, I did manage to run down a pair of riders on the first hill of the day -- ran them down from about a hundred yards back. They weren't trying to stay away -- and who knows if they would have left me behind if they wanted to -- but it was a self test just the same. They were a carrot dangling two-thirds of the way up the hill in front of me and I caught them before the top. That's all. I guess small victories ring large when you're snorting up glowing green slime.

So, like I said, I've spent the last few days feeling okay but my breathing still sounds like an old Chevy and, you know ... green slime. But I went back out on the road today and felt okay while I was going (except, word to the wise: don't try to air hanky when your snot weighs more than a newborn and comes out in gallons.) It was really, really windy today too. When I was into the wind I think my average speed was under 15 mph. I seriously felt like I was being pulled upright or sideways whenever I was in it or crossing it. It was brutal. Still managed to average about 18, which was good. Only got 30 miles, but that was enough. I'm not sure if I need antibiotics or something right now, so until I figure this out, I'll be happy with 30.

Here are the rides:




And, for a bit of inspiration, the SSAP course is finally posted ... April 17th will be here before I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment