Thursday, May 26, 2011

29ers hit the "big time" ...



So a 29er "finally" won a World Cup ...

I was surprised by the tone of that article. I didn't think there was such a "rift" in mountainbiking. In fact, I still don't. The whole premise is kind of bullshit. I've never experienced any rivalry between those who ride 26ers and those who ride 29ers. I mean. I've heard people have different opinions, but they usually come from a place of "I have one, it works well for me, why would I get something different?" And that argument makes perfect sense on either side.

I don't think there is an innate superiority of 29 vs. 26 inch wheels or vice versa. I think it's purely a matter of personal preference. And the only way to have a preference is to have ridden both. So I wonder how many of the people who are so adamant about the superiority of one vs. the other have actually ridden both.

Personally, I prefer 29ers. I've ridden both, and I just feel more stable and more in-control on the 29er. But I know people who've ridden both and prefer their 26er for the nimbleness. I guess it all depends on what you look for in a ride. This bullshit about one or the other being "the future" of mountainbiking isn't even close to true. The future of mountainbiking is people who ride, regardless of what size the wheels are.

However ... they should be riding singlespeeds ...

No comments:

Post a Comment