Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rain, rain go away ...

I had a brief window of no rain this evening when I got home from work, so I broke out the road bike and took off, hoping to get 20 miles at the most before the sky opened up again. I ultimately got 28, which is great. But to do it, I had to deal with a horrible combination of rain and (worse) wind. I hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE riding in the wind. I'll take rain, mud, even a blizzard before I'll take wind. It sucks the energy and the will to keep going right out of me.

Tonight, the wind and rain hit about 20 miles into my ride. I came over a crest out by some farmland near Harleysville and suddenly I found myself leaning hard to my right to stay upright while raindrops flew at me sideways. Not fun. And I knew it was going to get worse because I had to turn right a quarter mile or so up the road. It was worse than I expected. It wasn't the worst wind I've ridden in (that would undoubtedly be The Covered Bridge Ride out of Tinicum Park a few years ago -- wind gusts in excess of 50 mph and sustained headwinds for an hour at a time) but it was an awful way to end an otherwise great ride. Coming back along Allentown Road, I was praying for steep climbs so that I could be shielded from the wind by a wall of road. Didn't happen. I finished okay, but the whole ride wiped me out more than a measly 28 miles ever should.

No comments:

Post a Comment