Friday, June 3, 2011

Back to basics ...

Last night I got out of work a little later than I usually shoot for. I usually get to the office around 6:30 or 6:45. This is solely to ensure that, when I have no meetings (meetings are the business world's equivalent of self-flagellation) I can leave by four o'clock. That works out just enough to keep me doing it, but more often than not, it ends up making the work day 10 or more hours long. I forgot that I had to attend a late afternoon meeting yesterday and so I didn't get out of the office until after 5:00. It could have been worse, but yesterday was such an incredible day that I really wanted to get a chance to ride. It takes me about 15 minutes to get home (short commute but lots of traffic) and then another 20-30 minutes to gear up and get out the door. So I was looking at reaching the trailhead last night well after 6:00. I figured there was no way I'd get to do a whole loop at Wissahickon, but I could still get in a good ride. I always try to shoot for at least 10 miles every time I ride -- it's just nice to see double digits on the Garmin and, well, I like riding so more is almost always better than less.

I was in a kind of a hurry to leave, though, and halfway down the highway I realized that I'd left my Garmin at home. I'm trying to log all my miles this season, so that was kind of a bummer, but there was no way I was going to go back and get it. I figured, "Screw it ... tonight will be a low-tech ride." And you know what? That was perfect.

The weather last night couldn't possibly have been any better. One of the nicest evenings in the Philly region all year. The only issue all night was the flies on the Lincoln Drive bike path. They are always out, though, so that was nothing I wasn't expecting. They kind of swarm just off the creek so they can maximize their one night of being alive. I guess it increases the odds of a insect hookup -- sort of like the way guidos flock to Seaside in the summer. Can't blame them for that. But beyond the flies getting their swerve on, last night's ride was epic. I felt good, my bike was great (though it needs to be cleaned up for Iron Hill this Sunday) and in the end I was able to squeeze in the full loop before the sun went down. All good!

Getting out for a ride is always a good thing, but every now and then I have a night like last night: no Garmin to track miles and speed, only the bare necessities in my jersey pockets, a body that works and weather that's perfect. Just the basics for a ride -- me, my bike, a water bottle, and miles of trail. I love those nights. Just a night in the woods but also a lot more. I'm still smiling about it this morning, even though now I'm back at work before 7 and getting ready for another day of meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment