Wednesday, November 23, 2011

So ... now what???


Last Saturday's race at Cathedral Pines ended the 2011 season for me. I did more racing this year than I had in the last several years. Moreover, those races were almost all enduros, too, which means not only did I do more races this year, but I spent more time actually racing, too. Some of it went well and some ... ehh ... not so well. But, collectively, it was one of my best seasons, and that's independent of the results. All but one of my races were on the singlespeed. I did races in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. And between racing and training, I put well over 3500 miles in on the mountainbike. I even created my very own off-road tour, the Tour de Easy. Not a bad year.

But now that it's over, the obvious question is ... what now?

Seriously, what next?

I have a few plans for next season -- races I'm definitely going to return for (SSaP, The Six Pack, Iron Hill, CP) or try for the first time (DH 40), but for the first time in three years, I'll be without a single "event" race for the year (I made the decision to take a year off from the SM 100 next year and I won't be doing any 24 hour races either.) In a way that's bad because having a single goal definitely gives me a schedule for peak fitness, and without that, who knows what will happen. But in another way, it's a really good opportunity to do some things I haven't done before -- maybe a road trip or two, and - who knows? - maybe I'll be inspired to do a new race I can't even think of now. EIther way, I'll more open to new experiences next season.

But how do you create an off-season program around possible unknowns? Do I go for an all-out workout plan in the gym, or should I cross-train more outside? Or, do I mix it up?

I'm thinking more of the latter, but there is definitely more details to be worked out - what am I training for? What is the next goal? How do I get there? But that's all just fine - I have all the time in the world. One season is over and another is beginning. And no matter what events come up next year, the common theme for me will continue to be the fitness and the fun.

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment