Monday, January 16, 2012

Day off ...


My office was closed today for Martin Luther King's birthday, and Joanna wasn't off. So that meant I was on my own for the day. And that means time to ride!

When I woke up this morning, temps in the region were in the mid-teens. So I decided to get a few things done around the house before going to ride in the hopes that the temps would rise enough so I could better plan my gear. I knew the highs today were going to be close to 40, so starting a ride below 20 meant I'd likely have to shed layers as I rode. If I waited until late morning, there was a good chance I wouldn't have to do that. It's a luxury of having a full day with nothing else to do!

I started the ride just before noon with temps right around 30. It never felt too cold all day. In fact, the conditions were pretty close to perfect! It was cold, but never uncomfortably so, and there was a wind, but I didn't notice it in the woods. I was a little tired at first, but my legs came around nicely, and I ultimately rode about 20 miles in about 2 1/2 hours.

There was a lot of ice throughout the park, but none of it really effected the ride

It was about as perfect a winter ride as I can ask for: not a cloud in the sky, I felt good, I pushed the pace in a few sections, and ended up getting about 5 more miles than I originally planned. January vacation days can sometimes be a total waste, but today was anything but! And tonight it's back to yoga. Not a bad Monday!

Through the meadow in the sunlight

Trail conditions: practically perfect!

Climbing up off Bell's Mill

No comments:

Post a Comment