Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Seeing the light ...

Last night, I got out for a ride with Sean K at Wissahickon. Actually, I rode about 8 miles in daylight before Sean was able to get there, and then we headed out to do another 10 or so. It was a good ride, but I noticed something right away -- Sean's lights were waaaaaaaay better than mine. He had a MagicShine 1000 lumen light. It was so much brighter than my own PrincetonTec Switchback 3 that I almost felt like I was riding in the dark in the few sections I'd be out of his beam. Now, my lights aren't bad -- they're just getting a little old at this point (I just swapped over to my second battery.) I actually like my lights -- they've been pretty bullet proof over the three or four years I've had them. I also run a MiNewt USB on my helmet. I like that one because it's really light and contained (the battery and light both mount to the helmet without feeling the least bit heavy.) But it's a pretty weak light by current standards (150 lumens, I think.)

Anyway, I decided to check out the MagicShine when I got home, and it turns out there are some amazing deals on the site. Considering that my current lilght cost me more thqan $350 when I got a few years ago, I just had to pull the trigger on this:


Right now, the two lights are being sold together as a set for $250 or so! That's 2600 lumens for about $100 less than what I paid for my current set! Seems like a really good deal, and they have a bunch more there, too. The site is here. Check it out if you're looking for lights. Some of the deals are listed as "monthly specials" which means today might be the last day to pick up a few of them, but there's a bunch of different bundles, and some of them are considerably cheaper than what I went with.

3 comments:

  1. watch out for magic shine, they burned down a few folks houses while charging. I think the gov't had some issues with that company. I've also heard of them tanking a year out... LIghts seem to work well out the box... Google them, there's some good info out there about them...

    respect
    fm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have magic shine lights and I love the hell out of them. The battery issue that was 'burning down houses' is fixed and you won't be effected by it.
    I think you'll be very happy with your purchase

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info, Marc! I had heard about the battery issue, and I heard the same thing you did, Sandie. I have a dedicated charging station with a full surge protector on it, but I'll keep a close eye on it when I get the lights to be sure they don't charge too hot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete