Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Mets, The Metal and a Personal Best ...



Not a bad run these past few days ...

On Thursday, I took the day off from work to go to the Mets home opener with my brother. We've been to every home opener since he finished college back in the early 00's. I grew up a Mets fan in central Jersey - inherited them from my dad. He was a diehard Brooklyn Dodgers fan as a kid and when they left New York for L.A., rooting for the Yankees was not an option, so when the Mets started their franchise in Queens back in '62, he had a new team to root for. My older brother (who'd say "black" just becasue my dad would say "white") took to the Phillies rather than root for the same team as my dad, but for me and my youngest brother, the Mets were always our team. I've been a fan since those awfully early 80's teams that dwelled int he basement every year. I was lucky enough to be around for the '86 squad, but my younger brother was a little too young at the time to remember, so he's still waiting for a championship. I think we'll both be waiting a while longer, but they did manage to win on Thursday. There's not a lot to get excited about with this team, although they should be decent offensively. As of this afternoon, they're still undefeated at 2-0. Just 160 more to go!

Mr. Met ... frightening children since 1963.
The only bad part about Thursday was getting stuck in gridlock on the Major Deegan coming back. It took me an hour to go five miles to the GW. (It then took me only another hour and a half to get all the way home!)

But when I got home, there was a package on my doorstep, and this was inside:

Twin Six team kit 2012
I've been waiting for this since I joined up in January! And the kit is baaaaaaaadaaaaasss! I love it! Very cool! And yes ... I already rode with it (yesterday.) HAHAHA! I'm like a kid with a new toy.


Anyway, this week, I'd been working out every morning and for some reason couldn't get to sleep at night, so I spent the whole week getting about 4-5 hours sleep a night. That kind of sucked, but then last night, after a few beers and the realization that for the first time all week, I didn't have to get up at the ass-crack of dawn.

So I didn't.

I think I slept nine hours. It was awesome. I don't think I've had that long of a night's sleep in about a year or so.

And it must have worked, because the best part of my weekend came after a good night's sleep. For as long as I have been riding at Blue Marsh, my goal has always been to do the full 30 mile loop in 3 hours flat. And I've never really come close -- the best I could ever manage was around 3:10 minutes or so.

Until today.

I don't know where it came from, but I pulled a full loop in about 2:45 today:



And I felt great all day. Seriously, this is better than winning a race to me. I've been riding Blue Marsh for ten years or more. And to cut more than 20 minutes off my best loop, do it on the singlespeed, go well under 3 hours doing it even with over 3000 feet of climbing ... today might be one of my all time best days on the bike. And I had no idea going in. Guess a good night's sleep can do wonders after all!

So ... yeah ... pretty great week.

Sun goes down on a great week ...

No comments:

Post a Comment