Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Salisbury Trails ...

I got out of work early today for the holiday, so I used the extra time to drive up to Bethlehem to ride the Salisbury Trail system. I haven't been there in a really long time, and in fact I've never been there in the summer time. The trail looks totally different when it's covered in green, but it only took a few minutes for me to remember the main thing about riding at Salisbury ...

ROCKS!!!!

I'd match Salisbury up with almost anywhere in the region as far as rocks per mile goes. The main loop is only about 8 miles or so, and but it's almost like on 8 mile long rock garden. The main loop, the Red Trail, circles the park and features an extended climb of maybe two or three miles and practically the entire thing is covered in rocks. Just one long steady stream of baby head rock gardens broken up by occasional rooty sections or, at least today, overgrown fauna. All in all, it's a challenging ride ...

It was a hot day, but that didn't bother me at all. I just had fun bouncing around on the rocks on the rigid Misfit for a couple of hours. I took a couple of photos of the trail. If you're far away, there probably aren't enough miles of trails there to warrant a special trip. But if you're in the area, it's definitely worth checking out.

The trail bottoms out at the Walking Purchase Park Trailhead, which pops out at an active freight yard. All day, I was hearing the thunderous sound of rail cars being hitched up.

The non-rocky sections feature plenty of roots lest you think you've got some smooth sailing

Navigating baby heads up the main climb

The only clean section was a downhill!

You criss-cross the power lines a few times

Lots of overhanging fauna right now ...

The trail to the left is the pop-out at the Walking Purchase trailhead.

This is pretty much a snapshot of the entire three mile climb - all rocks all the time

A quick break on the way up ...

1 comment:

  1. I would love to get there some day...it's on my "list"

    ReplyDelete