Wednesday, August 15, 2012

N + 1 ...

I mentioned in my last post that I have "...a few things I'm working on right now." Well, this is one of them (and, yes, the one I'm really excited about) - I've got a new addition to the stable!

2013 Specialized Langster

I picked up a 2013 Specialized Langster as a commuter. I've been wanting to stop driving into work for a long time now, but at my office complex, the only space for bikes is a small corner of the garage near the entrance. I never wanted to ride my road bike in because that area isn't very secure. My original thought was that, since it's a relatively cheap bike, it would be a lot less stressful to leave the Langster locked up in the garage.

Of course, now that I actually have it, that logic is going right out the window. I love this bike. I'll still ride it to work, but I don't think I'll be any less concerned about it. Oh well - it's worth it. A few details:


The bike has a flip-flop rear hub that can be run as singlespeed or fixed.  Right now I only have a fixed cog.

Current gear ratio is a reasonable 48:16

The seat tube is one of the big design changes - squared off at the bottom and rounded toward the top.

The new frame lines for the 2013 Langster are really stunning, and I'm really surprised at how much I like the red-on-white color scheme.
I can't wait to ride this bike. Friday will be my first chance since I have to "stock up" my closet at work so I don't have to carry everything in on the first day. Who knows? Maybe I'll even look forward to going into work everyday ... okay, that's a bit much. But maybe it will be less depressing, and isn't that all any of us can ask for? Indeed!




3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new bike!

    Maybe I can ride with you on my geared bike while you're on the fixie so I can keep up. :)

    Biking to work is awesome. I'm only .5 a mile so it's not much of a commute but it's still cool not having to turn the car on and off and on and off...and gas is so expensive these days.

    We are moving in the fall so my commute will be stretched to about 5 miles (the safe route vs 3 miles direct) but I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bike, a few questions,

    It came with a brake setup?
    did it come with 2 fixed gears of 1 fixed 1 freehub?
    Where did you get it? Im hoping to pick one up in the graphite color asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cursed: Yes, it did come with brakes (I'm not sure the pro version does, thoguh, since that's considered more of a traditional track bike. As for the hub, it came with a flip-flop hub, but only one gear for now (fixed). If I want a freewheel, I'll have to get a bmx-type cog with an integrated freewheel and just screw it on to the other side. Something like this one: http://www.jensonusa.com/!8oW!uQvoN9Q!6cvdf34lvg!/Shimano-DX-Single-Speed-Freewheel?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CJrE2-fv7rECFUff4AodbwEAMw

    Very easy to set up, though.

    ReplyDelete