Sunday, November 11, 2012

Back in the saddle ...

Yesterday, I spent a considerable part of the morning and afternoon bagging leaves, and today I did a nice long ride in Middle Run. 

Now two days ago, I woke up and my ribs were so bad that I made an appointment for the same day with my primary. I had been to my chiropractor twice already, and while he re-aligned and fixed the out of position rib, I was worried that I had done something more because the pain had really not subsided in the least for over two weeks. Turns out that was a good call -- the doctor told me I had torn muscles in my ribs. That was good news and bad news - good because at least now I knew why the hell it was so hard to move all this time and bad because the only way it was going to get better was through rest and, at most, light stretching. He gave me an Rx for Vicodin to help with the pain and a generic NSAID for inflammation. I mentioned that I was supposed to do a race next weekend (the Something Wicked 6 Hours of Cathedral Pines), and he told me that he wouldn't tell me I couldn't do it, but that I should expect a lot of pain if I did and it could set me back in terms of recovery. So, leaving the office, I was already thinking about ways I might have my cake and eat it too -- how I could do the race but not spend the next three months unable to do anything else. 

Turns out I didn't have to. As everyone knows by now, NJ and NY were hit harder than anywhere else by Hurricane Sandy, Long Island being no exception. Because of general damages and more pressing needs of the region, the race has been postponed for a while. while I am happy to have the extra time to get back in shape, I think the greater part of it is that this is the right decision for the region. 

Anyway, as I said, I did lawn work yesterday and a ride today. How? I have no idea. I mean, I suppose the Vicodin helped. But the fact is, I woke up yesterday feeling like I was able to move almost normally for the first time in two weeks. I mean, sure, I was a little sore. But it's weird -- the pain seems to have decreased exponentially in the last two days. Maybe it's a psychological thing -- it seems that I started to feel a little better as soon as I found out what was wrong. But it's almost like whatever was wrong has accelerated in healing the last two two days. Like I said, I can't explain it. I'm just happy it's finally at a point where I'm feeling even a little better.

It had been two weeks since I'd been on a bike without having to stop every two minutes because of the pain. And then I go out and ride today for a good four hours. That was cool.

I've got a lot more swimming around in my head right now - a little history, and a greater appreciation for this "hobby" of riding my bike. But I'll get to that later this week. For now, I'm just going to say that  while it wasn't, in the greater scheme of things, a really long time off the bike, I'm just really happy to be back in the saddle again!

No comments:

Post a Comment