Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2013 Plans ...

Yeah, it's that time again ... as I said a few times before, there definitely are some events I don't want to miss this year. But I also wanted to put together something a little more than that here. The other day, Joanna and I were discussing how tough it is to fit everything into a given week between work, workouts, time to just hang out, her teaching schedule (for EMT) and my riding bicycles in the woods. At some point, I said I was going to put together a schedule so at least I have some structure to the week beyond the 9-5 (or 6:30-4 in my case.) I generally hate schedules and avoid them when I can (I think that runs in my family - my sister is the same way) but I have to admit that I actually function better with some kind of structure. So I thought I'd take a stab at putting it all in one place - the schedule of events I'd like to hit this year, as well as a more general, daily schedule. Of course, none of this is absolutely set in stone - I have no desire to plan every minute of my life out - but it's kind of general set of when I plan to do the things necessary to be able to make good bike ride.

My original idea was to just create my weekly day-to-day schedule around work. That's not too hard to do -- in fact, training on the bike is probably the only one of my individual activities that isn't already pretty well set right now. My typical weekday kind of goes like this:

5:00 am - Wake up, get dressed, make lunch and hop on my bike to go to the gym (out the door by 5:10)
5:30 - 6:00 am - Gym workout (mostly just core stuff right now, for reasons I'll mention later on)
6:00 - 6:30 am - Swim
6:30 - 6:45 am - Dry off, get back on the bike, ride over to work
6:45 - 7:00 am - Shower, get breakfast, and at my desk around 7 (give or take ...)
7:00 - 4:00 pm - W... O ... R ... K
4:00 - 4:30 pm - Ride home (traffic can bite me ...)

That's where things start to vary. A couple nights a week, I'm on the bike. A couple more, I'm in yoga (I also skip the gym on Thursday morning to go to yoga at 5:30.) I need as much yoga as I can get because I'm about as flexible as a lead pipe.

My weekly workout schedule right now will probably look something like this:


I also plan to continue commuting by bike as well. This schedule gives me a nice balance and I can occasionally forego certain workouts because for the most part I'm doing two-a-days and won't feel too guilty slacking off. I don't like a lot of downtime, but this gives me enough open space and options to fit some other things in, something I haven't always been very good at -- maybe take a class, or Joanna and I can find some new hobbies to do together, do some hikes, read a bit more -- whatever comes along.

So that's my day-to-day plan. I've got four planned rides per week (possibly more as the weather improves and I swap rides in for other workouts.) Those rides will continue to be what they always have been -- a mix of training and fun, and as I get closer to any races I will be lining up for this year, the focus will probably lean more toward training -- but I'm not losing the fun this year no matter what! And on that subject, as far as racing this year, I've got only a few "definites", and some others I'll call "possibles":

Definites


SSAP - April 28
Iron Hill - May 5
Granogue 12 Hour - June 8
Stewart Super Six Pack - June 30
SSUSA - August 17
Cathedral Pines - November ?? (no date published yet -- usually week before Thanksgiving)

Possibles

AFC Sugar Hill - March 16
Leesburg Bakers Dozen - April 13 (Leesburg, VA)
French Creek - May 18
Stoudt's Summerfest - July12 (night time TT)


I'll have to make up my mind on Sugar Hill and Leesburg pretty quickly - they both sell out fast. I've heard good things about Leesburg and I've never been there, so I'm leaning toward that one for sure. I'd also love to do the SS World Championships in Italy, but that's more of a pipe dream -- that'd be a huge trip that I haven't begun to plan for. Probably not in the cards for 2013.

There may be a few other add-ons/substitutions - I'm staying pretty liquid on the season overall - but as of right now, these are probably the main events for me. Of course, with more weekends of no racing than I've had in years, I'll probably be getting a few more of those long Saturday rides in, too.

So that's the season as of right now -- some workouts, some rides, some races, a few new adventures. Constant movement. Joanna and I had a great hike in Philly this past Sunday, and if she catches the exploration bug and wants to go out and explore more trails on foot, that'll become part of the story as well. I love to hike and there are some really great ones within a short drive from home.

At any rate, it's shaping up to be a pretty fun and full year! See you on the trails!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like we are totally sympatico with the schedule. Hey and don't forget we've got the rock climbing gym to use!

    ReplyDelete