Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Karmic Taxation ...


It's been a while ... nah ... Sorry I haven't ... nope ... I would have ... that's not it either ...

Let;s just cut to the chase - I haven't been posting as much this whole season because, well, there really hasn't been much of a season this year. It's been a year full of karmic taxes. I'm paying now for all the good karma rides and adventures by bike I've enjoyed for the last few years without much in the way of adversity or injury to deal with.

It started in February when I had a surgery to fix a deviated septum. The surgery went well, but the chain reaction it created was something no one could have predicted. With a terrible year for allergies, my successful surgery became something of a curse in May, when my improved breathing allowed me to inhale more allergens than I ever have. This led to a full-blown asthma attack that landed me in the ER when I couldn't control my cough. Between that irritation (and the nasal steroid I was put on permanently) I developed a throat and inner ear infection that had me on antibiotics. That led me to miss one of my favorite races -- The 12 Hours of Granogue -- because, having raced on antibiotics in the past, I know it's not a good idea. (You're much more susceptible to the sun and weather conditions, a fact I learned the hard way at Shenandoah two years ago.)

In addition to the (ongoing but managed) respiratory issues, I also managed to crash in the first week of April and broke a bone in my hand. I'm still dealing with that now. And then recently, I had a few crashes back to back where I slammed my knee into my stem. The last time, just two weeks ago at the Trailspinners' Poker Run, I really messed it up. I could barely walk for a week afterward. In that same crash, I bruised my ankle, too - insult to injury!

But perhaps the most bizarre thing I dealt with over the last few months was what happened after a ride out at Blue Marsh Lake. Apparently, they don't have the staff to maintain the park they had in the past, and the grass has grown very tall through some of the fields. I've ridden through tall grass before, but never with a result like this:




My arms and legs were covered in these bizarre welts after I finished the ride. I was originally planning on doing two laps, but after the first, I just didn't want to make this worse. It lingered for about a day or so. I told a co-worker who thinks I may have a grass allergy, which may be true, but this was nasty and very, very itchy. It was like a massive, body-wide case of poison ivy. It was awful.

So at the moment, as it stands, I'm not 100%. But even with a tweaked knee and less than peak form due to all the downtime I've had, I'm still going to race the Stewart Six Pack this weekend. Why? Because it's a really fun event, and I'm just going it for fun and fitness. One of the benefits of having been knocked around as much as I have this year is that races have no pressure -- I have no business expecting any kind of result, so I can just have fun and smile, even if the field rides away from me.

Anyway, aside from all the crap, I've had a pretty fun and eventful couple of weeks. Rather than lay all of that out, I'm going to take the lazy way out and just provide a photo dump. Enjoy!

A few morning rides ...

Cows on the interstate ...

V-Dubs at the Lansdale car show ...

Monochromatic views ...

... and a true classic ...

The trunk of this caddie was bigger than my first apartment ...

Some evening rides ...

Watching my Mets smack around the Phillies ...

... in the luxury of the Diamond Club ...

A rare win for the Mets ...

Cirque du Soleil in Camden ...

... And finally heading home ...
Hopefully, I'll have something fun to post about this weekend's race -- or, failing that, at least I won't have to mention yet another injury in what's become my karmic tax year.

2 comments:

  1. At least we had fun at my first Mets game and Cirque, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cow picture is just plain bizarre!

    ReplyDelete