Monday, February 15, 2016

On the road again

I mentioned yesterday that I had a lot planned for this year, and that's true. In fact, my "season" actually starts this coming weekend.

Last year, about this time, I was climbing the wall from cabin fever and driving Joanna crazy. I've never been a big fan of winter to begin with, but lately I've really started to feel like I'd prefer a warmer climate year round.  For a few reasons, thats not a feasible option at the moment, so we both agreed that I needed to plan on getting out of town for at least a short escape in the future when winter gets that bad. This year, I was debating two options - a trip out west for a week of training in the desert, or find a race somewhere warm and use that for training. It was  tough call because I really love the southwest, but ultimately I decided to stay on the east coast and do the 12 Hours of Santos in Florida. So I'll be heading down to Ocala on Friday to race on Saturday, and then hanging around for a couple days afterward to ride a bit more after the race. I made this call for a few reasons - first, a trip to Florida was really easy to work out with schedules and all that, and second, it gave me the opportunity to do something interesting this season.

In May, I'm already planning to head out to Spokane, WA for the 24 Hours of Round the Clock. By doing both of these races, I'll race at both ends of the country in one season. Just thought that was kind of cool.

As of right now, I have about five or six races that are definite for this year, and a few others that are  maybes right now. Aside form the two mentioned above, I've got the Bakers Dozen in April, and a month later is my only non-endurance race of the year - SSAP in NY (moved to May this year!) I'll be going back to Shenandoah of course. I'm also hoping to do the Wilderness 101. And after qualifying last year, I'll be heading out to Colorado in August for the Leadville 100. Those are definites. A week after Leadville is SSUSA, right here in PA this year but I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

Races 2016

So that's the plan so far - or at least most of it. I've got one additional ride I'm planning but I'll get into that another time. That's not a race, but I haven't worked out the details yet so we'll leave that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment